Sunday, March 6, 2011

Thai Basil Seed Drink

I could spend a full day just looking through foreign food and ingredients sold in a specialty store, for instance,  asian stores, butchers, indian markets (you get my drift). I find it very interesting and I think it's always great to try something new, and opens up options for the next edible experiment.


This weekend involved a quick trip to the newly opened Asian shop around the corner (a dream come true, although there really is no scarcity of Asian shops in this neighborhood, but for it to be just right at your doorstep - bliss!). One of the things that came home with us was a bottle of Thai Basil Seed Drink.

So what is it?


It's a drink made of sweet basil seeds, which look like ordinary black seeds until they get wet after which they look like frog eggs. :) Probably not the best picture to paint for something that you're supposed to drink - but I think it could be an interesting party cocktail with just a couple more additions. Apparently you can buy the basil seeds and make your own drink at home, made sweet with either sugar or honey. If I do get my hands on some, I won't mind creating my own version, as this bottled drink came in too sweet for me.

So to down play the sweetness I added a glug of tonic water and a shot of vodka.


nothing like a bit of alcohol to spice things up a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment