Saturday, March 26, 2011

Breakfast in Bread

This was inspired by last night's episode of The Cook and The Chef where the chef (Simon) made mushroom dumplings and Maggie made an omelet using a new approach - the eggs weren't fully scrambled together, simply 'mixed' (sort of). You can still see traces of the egg whites and the yolks aren't fully incorporated. She added a touch of cream and salt and pepper.

Mushroom is one of M's favorite things in this planet, so after seeing the show he started drooling over mushrooms. I have a couple of packets of dried mushrooms (shiitake and black mushroom) stashed in the pantry so I sneaked out and started hydrating them with the intent of using them in the morning.

I sauteed the shrooms (excess water drained and saved, it is full of flavor!) in a some extra virgin olive oil and a couple of cloves of garlic, finely minced. After around 8 minutes of moving it around on high heat, I set it aside.

I wanted to see what Maggie's omelet recipe would be like, but I am not a huge fan of using cream in cooking our usual meals, except for baking (the calories are shared!) :p so I just added a tiny dash of milk and followed her style. I used 5 eggs for 2 decent sized omelets and topped it with the sauteed mushrooms. And a bit of fresh thyme for an extra heavenly scent.

The omelet was surprisingly fluffy!

No comments:

Post a Comment