Sunday, May 8, 2011

Nanay's Cake



It's Mother's Day! And while I have baked a lot of cakes for pretty much everyone celebrating something, I thought I'd make an extra special cake for my Nanay ('mother' in Tagalog)...

I had some pears in the fridge and remembered that I once made a poached pear cake. I thought it would be a really special cake, with my nanay in my mind the whole time I was cooking. She loves flowers, so the roses were meant to bundle in cake and flowers in one package!

I only used 4 pears and a small baking tin.

  

peel and core the  pears (william pears in this instance) but keep the stems intact
I used 4 small pears (one is missing in this photo!)


bring the following to a boil : 750ml of water, 1/2 cup of sugar, 
1 cinnamon stick, 6 cloves, 2 star anise and peel & juice of half a lemon.
poach pears in the liquid until the pears have softened. 
drain and discard liquid. let the pears cool.

meanwhile, make the cake batter
this one was made with 2 eggs whisked with 1/2 cup of caster sugar
when thick and foamy, trickle in around 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil and 
about 3 tablespoons of honey while still whisking the mixture.
when everything is incorporated, use a spatula to fold 1 cup of self raising flour.
pour onto greased and lined baking tin, and push the pears into the cake batter.
(this recipe is something that i just made up on the fly!)



bake in a preheated 180C oven for around 30minutes.


decorate however which way you would like
but it is best served warm!


My mom is back home in the Philippines but I do know one day I should be able to make something for her here in my very own kitchen, while she waits in the dining table, just like how I used to wait for her hot freshly cooked yummies!

No comments:

Post a Comment