Sunday, April 10, 2011

Tea Smoked Salmon



I read about tea-smoking fish a while back and made it with monk fish. This time I tried it again but with salmon. Why? I don't know, I just felt like eating something smoky :) Apparently this technique has been used in the Szechuan province in China ever since...


previous tea-smoking gig :
tea-smoked monkfish wrapped in radish leaves, 
and fresh radish dressed with a soy sauce and vinegar dressing


This salmon was served with potato starch noodles, wok tossed in a small amount of chili and onions, with red cabbage and baby corn. I also added some pickled ginger (the ones you'd get with sashimi) because I thought it would be a strong contrast to the otherwise delicate flavors of noodles and fish.

The basic 'kindlings' or smoking agents for indoor smoking are tea (I used jasmine, but I suppose any type will do), a handful of uncooked rice and brown sugar. Depending on the size of the fish it may take around 15-20 minutes. For this salmon it took around 10 minutes since the cut isn't very thick and I like my salmon still raw in the middle. In this instance I also threw in several leaves of lemon verbena for a slight citrus hint, although I didn't really quite taste it in the end. (Figured it was worth a try anyway!)

I made a bowl from foil (and just moulded it on a bowl!) 
a handful of tea leaves, a handful of rice and maybe 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
placed on pan over medium-high heat
the salmon went to a bamboo steamer lined with baking paper


noodles!

steaming contraption

they were ready in a jiffy!

juicy-licious

'the afterburn'

No comments:

Post a Comment