Saturday, April 2, 2011

Layered Easter Egg Chocolate Cake

I grabbed a copy of the Good Food magazine last week as the cover photo grabbed my attention. I especially noted the 'triple tested recipes' bit and thought maybe I ought to give that cake recipe a try....

I wasn't able to get the exact easter eggs for decor and I think my cake cutting needs a bit more practice!
the buttercream wasn't flush towards the sides too.
(no I'm not being a perfectionist....!) :p
to be honest I was just a bit impatient/too excited to finish this cake hehehe.


This one falls under the magazine's 'super easy' recipes!

225g self raising flour
275g brown sugar
250g unsalted butter, softened
75g dark chocolate, melted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
50g cocoa
4 eggs 

ganache icing
1/3 cup cream
160g dark chocolate, chopped

buttercream filling
375g unsalted butter, softened
500g pure icing sugar
1/3 cup milk

easter eggs for decoration

(disclaimer : below is my quick-type version as lifted from the magazine so I may have omitted some words!)

Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan. Grease and line 2 round cake pans.

Mix all cake ingredients together in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour onto prepared pans and bake for around 35minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave in tin for about 5 mins then turn out to a wire rack to cool completely. (I used slightly less brown sugar in this instance, maybe 75g less)

To make the ganache, boil the cream then pour onto chocolate. Let stand for a couple of minutes then whisk until smooth. Set aside until cooled slightly and thickened.

To make the buttercream, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until as white as possible. Alternately beat in sugar and milk, starting and finishing with a little sugar. (I didn't use all 500g of sugar here, I just find it toooo sweet).

Using a bread knife split each cake into two layers. Sandwich together all four layers with buttercream. Top with ganache and decorate with Easter eggs. Serve.

**

Now this was my interpretation :


work hazard : blade licking

ganache in the making

buttercream frosting being beaten around
the big guns got good practice for this!

that really looked like buttercream to me!

layer 1

layer 2

fast forward to finishing all the layers!

top view

it smelled great... 
can't go wrong with chocolate!


No comments:

Post a Comment