Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hot Cross Buns


Easter is fast approaching and a classic (English) treat during this time are hot cross buns. To be honest I've only heard of these when I arrived here in Oz, growing up we would have had rice-pudding type treats during Easter :) so I thought I'd give it a go and bake some to see what they're like. 

I found a recipe from the Good Food magazine and they turned out quite nicely. 

3 cups plain white flour
1.5 tsps instant dried yeast
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp ground  cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice (which was made of ground ginger, ground cloves and allspice)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2/3 cup dried currants
1 tsp salt
150ml warm milk
50ml warm water
1 egg, beaten
50g unsalted butter
1/4 cup plain flour
2 tbsp white sugar

I just had the wonderful opportunity to mix them all together in my magical Kitchenaide, tested the consistency and texture of the dough and added a bit more flour when I found it too wet.

In the absence of this toy one can mix dry ingredients, make a well in a center and add the wet ingredients. Mix to form a dough and knead until smooth. Transfer to a clean, lightly greased bowl and let rise until doubled in size.

Place greaseproof paper on baking tray. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 balls. Shape into a  nice round and place on prepared tray, allowing some room for each rising. Using a sharp knife score a cross on top of each bun then cover with a tea towel and let rise again until doubled in size.


Preheat oven to 180C. Combine remaining flour and some water to form a thick paste. 


Spoon into piping bag (I used a sandwich bag, tip snipped off) and pipe crosses on top of buns. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until buns are golden. 



While still warm, heat white sugar and about a tablespoon of water until sugar is dissolved (I just microwaved them until it bubbled). Brush over buns and serve immediately; or serve toasted the next day with a dollop of butter.



The same dough can be pretty much used for a lot of things... I liked this a lot, it's sweetly spiced buns, can't go wrong with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment