Sunday, September 18, 2011

Daan and Pip's Birthday's Cake



It was that time of the year again - the Dutch boys are celebrating their birthday. How quick does time fly?!

Daan's mum said that Daan would like a chocolate cake, so a chocolate cake it was!

The recipe that I used was the one from the Easter layered cake that I made back in April. The general feedback was that the cake was moist and tasty, so I figured that this cake would be a winner. The other surefire moist cake is the chocolate and guinness cake - but the alcohol is not really appropriate for a kid's party!

Instead of doing 4 layers I only did two, and used the same buttercream recipe but this time I added the zest of an orange, and juice of half an orange. Last year's cake for the boys was a bit naughty, with lots of lollies... so this year I decided not to wage war against the moms of all the kids and went for a slightly healthier decor of fresh strawberries. For some reason I felt the need to further personalize the cake, so I thought I'd write "happy birthday"... Which is nice, but I haven't really done a lot of writing on my cakes!






Buttercream with a hint of orange




Layer 1




Layer 2




And slathered with more buttercream. The ridges were made by lightly running through a little gadget with 'teeth' along the edges (forgot to take a photo!)




I melted some chocolate and poured it into a paper cornet. Now, need to practice first! This was tricky - being stuck in the office meant not a lot of handwriting! Good thing I still remember how to write!





And I was a bit nervous writing on the cake itself - didn't want to mess this up!





I think it wasn't too bad :)





Daan was pleased.




Pip liked it too










It was a good day :) at the end of it all, I said my byes to Daan, and he told me he loves me.

Priceless.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment