Sunday, October 30, 2011

Witch's Fingers



We were invited to a Halloween party on Saturday night, and it was great to think about what costume to wear and what treat to bring! There are so many ideas available once you start googling things (there you go, google is a verb) but one thing that I chose was these witch fingers (check out this link for the ingredients) ... basically it's a shortbread base, almonds for nails and a bit of  food color for extra effect! I thought they looked sensational so I set off to make a batch of my own. 

Heeheeheehee.

I only have small bottles of red, yellow and blue food coloring in my pantry - and I guess that's the most I'll ever need for now as these primary colors can be mixed to create pretty much any color from the spectrum. So blue+yellow=green! (although I did stop to think about it hahahaha)


200 grams of room temperature unsalted butter, cubed +  1/2 cup caster sugar. Into the mixing bowl. I used a paddle attachment and whipped till light and fluffy. Add green food color and a couple of drops of almond essence (be careful not to overdo as it can be quite overpowering)


Pre-heat oven to 190C, and line your baking tray with baking paper.

Mix 1 1/3 cup plain flour, 3/4 cup rice flour and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl. Fold into butter and sugar mixture. You'll have to get in there and use your hands to lightly knead until it comes together. Grab a small handful and shape into fingers. Remember to emphasize the knuckles and the folds of the skin! I used a butter knife to press in some lines. Then lightly press a blanched almond at the tip to make the fingernail.


Line 'em all up and bake for around 10 minutes. 


When they're done and still hot (but be careful), remove the almond and tinge the 'cuticle' with red food color to make it a bit more gross! Replace the almond. Be really careful as it's a bit crumbly!


Ready for the party!



The slightly burnt ones are fingers from witches who were set on fire! Hee hee hee!

Happy halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment