Sunday, June 19, 2011

Crispy Crackling Pork with Plum Sauce and Bok Choy



Ahhh... pork. It is the meat of choice for  (most of) us Filipinos. Cheap and tasty meat, available everywhere, can be used for a myriad of recipes, easy to cook, so flavorful....

... and also has high cholesterol :) so it is a rare treat at home where the preference is lean meat (I know there is lean pork, but pork without the fat just doesn't quite make sense to me!) But when the cravings come for pork, they come calling quite loud. So one weekend during the usual trip to the butcher, there was a nice piece of pork belly that called my name. And the rest was history.

I still had some of the plum sauce from the last batch so I thought I'd just give the meat a dry rub of sea salt+sichuan pepper and bake it in the oven in a pan as it rests on a bed of chopped brown onions, and the last few minutes under the grill to make the crispy crackling. When it's done and while the meat is resting, the pan (with the onions still there, now caramelized)  is deglazed with cherry liquer, the plum sauce added in and a bit of extra seasoning.

Dish up with steamed rice and bok choy. And enjoy the crackling!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment