Sunday, December 12, 2010

Extra Special Harvests

Once upon a time I imagined a field of parsley growing in my garden, when I would never have to pay a couple of dollars to acquire this wonderful, tasty herb...

And then one day, the parsley had bolted and had gone over 4 feet tall!

to give you some perspective I stand at about 5 feet 6 inches 
and where my hand is, is the height of one of the parsley plants that is ready to flower and produce seed

meanwhile, this is a spinach leaf
from the backyard as well!

We have a compost pit where all our biodegradable kitchen veggie scraps go (including tea bags, cofffee beans) and we use it to fertilize the veggie patch. I would like to think that this cycle is keeping everyone happy! Anyway, I can't take too much credit for the veggie patch - he takes care of it more, and I just happen to do something with what grows there. :D 

a harvest of kale
the previous plant was pretty much raped by white aphids


kohlrabi - "german turnip" - a cousin of the cabbage
apparently you shouldn't let them grow bigger than a tennis ball if you were to harvest 
(except if you commercially sell them and they need to be as big as a saucer!)

It is just quite an amazing feeling to be able to harvest all these wonderful vegetables right within our own backyard - capturing fresh flavors as part of the day's meal. This Saturday's lunch was fresh from the garden...


With kale and the kohlrabi I decided to whip up something quick and easy - just stir fry the shredded veggies with crisped up spicy sausage, 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 minced onion and a dash of vinegar and soy sauce, to be served over hot steaming rice.

Life is good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment