Thursday, November 25, 2010

Sourdough Starter Experiment - results!


And one week later, here's the result of the sourdough starter experiment :


I think I can officially say that we have new pet, and we've decided to name it Bublé, because it is bubbly. :)

The 'essence of wild yeast' now resides in a wide mouthed bottle covered with cling film and a modest rubber band, and left in the fridge, and now I can feed it once a week only. For the past few days I have been religiously removing half of the mixture and adding 3 heaped tablespoonfuls of plain flour and almost half a cup of warm water to help propagate those wonderful microorganisms that would help me make wonderful (artisan?!) breads later!

This shows a bit of the 'hooch' forming on top of the mixture. Hooch is like beer - fermented liquid, basically. except i don't think it's suitable for drinking :p it also smells beery. I like to think that it's the booze for my pet! (we all gotta have our share don't we?!)


One last photo pose before it went to the fridge!


There is a lot of information about making sourdough starter but I find that this this link summarizes it quite succinctly. Check it out if you would like to make your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment