Thursday, November 18, 2010

Orange and Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

In keeping with the flavor of the season (lemon, that is, due to the very fruitful tree at the backyard!) I whipped up an orange and lemon poppy seed cake one afternoon despite being slightly groggy from cough syrup and drugs - I somehow managed to succumb to the office virus and have been out of commission for the past 3 days due to a bad cough, but that didn't stop me from baking. Rest assured the best possible standards for cleanliness have been observed to make this baked goodie. :p

I rarely get sick but when I get a cough, I get it bad. Despite having everything with lemon to amp up on vitamin C, I still have a lot of lemons left to use for everything else!


To make this cake I used
1/3 cup poppy seeds soaked in 1/4 cup milk
1 cup caster sugar
125 g butter, softened
3 eggs
zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup orange juice

2 cups self raising flour

Soak the poppy seeds and set aside.


Grease a bundt tin and preheat oven to 160C.

Cream butter and sugar together. Add one egg at a time, ensuring it is well incorporated before the next addition. Beat in zest. Fold in flour, orange juice, poppy seed mixture and milk; mix until combined.





Pour onto prepared tin and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when cake is poked.

Frost if desired. I used a thin glaze made of lemon juice, icing sugar and orange zest and decorated with fresh mint leaves.



This one's another cake for someone's farewell by the way... at the rate at which people are leaving our current workplace, I could have made a couple of hundred dollars if I sold these babies! :) But I'd rather not... I just hope they appreciate the thought... most of them seem to, so all is good :D

No comments:

Post a Comment